2010 Buck

Well, I am finally blogging about the deer I got this year. I have put off blogging about it in hopes that I would get a big bull elk and then I could blog about them both at the same time....maybe try to redeem myself for the deer I shot this year. But, alas, having been given 3, yes that's right T H R E E, shot opportunities on 3 DIFFERENT bulls I went home with tag soup.....anyway....


Here is the story: I left to go hunting one evening and as I was walking out the door Megan says, "Kill something this time, we need meat in the freezer." Perfectly fine thing to say....but not something I needed in my head when I saw this deer.


I had gone hiking above the Bountiful temple where I had previously placed a trail camera on a water hole I had found. After hiking up to the water hole and checking my camera I made the trek back down, hoping I would get lucky and stumble onto a decent buck. As I was walking down I did stumble onto a buck....but far from "decent". I had jumped a little two point that didn't have the sense God gave rocks. The little guy bolted from me and stopped at 30 yards. Just for practice I drew my bow on the deer. I had no intentions of shooting the small buck but I always practice just for good measure. The buck slowly walked off and I let down my bow.

The buck was gone about 1 minute before he came back, this time at 20 yards, trying to sniff the air and figure out what it was that was lurking just yards away in the tall grasses. Once again, I drew my bow. It was at this moment that I heard Megan's voice in my head telling me I needed to put meat in the freezer. I thought, "You DON'T want to kill this deer. He is just a little 2 point. You can get a bigger deer than this." So, as the deer walked away, I once again let down my bow.

The buck was gone about 1 minute before he came back, once again at 20 yards. He still couldn't figure out what I was and kept staring at me and sniffing the air. Once again, I drew my bow. Like the previous time I heard Megan's voice telling me we needed meat in the freezer. I thought, "You DON'T want to kill this deer. He is just a little 2 point. You can get a bigger deer than this........however, if were to kill this deer, you would want to spine shoot it to drop him in his tracks so he doesn't run down the hill making it a really tough drag back up." The deer walked away and I let down my bow.

The Buck was gone about 1 minute before he came back, once again at 20 yards. He stared right at me. I drew my bow as I heard in my head, "Shoot this deer. It will put meat in your freezer, Megan will be happy.....you can spend the rest of the season focusing on killing a bull elk. So, I took careful aim, aiming for a paralyzing spine shot, and released my arrow.

The buck dropped instantly and another shot to the heart sealed his fate. I saved myself the work of dragging him up hill but the hike out was far from "easy". I quickly cleaned the deer, took a few pictures, and threw the small buck over my shoulders. The 1 1/2 miles back to the Blazer with a deer on my shoulders is a pack-out that I will never forget. About half way through the hike out, I decided to leave my bow on the trail and I had to go back for it later. By the time I was done I was covered in sweat, blood, and dust.

Here are some pictures. Remember, I was all alone...kinda tough to take your own game pictures. Oh yeah, Sorry for the blood.....it is what it is, I guess.

P.S. Although he's not the biggest deer I've ever killed....he tastes pretty good!



No comments:

Post a Comment